Thanksgiving it a time when we tend to blow our diets. So I am trying to find healthy alternatives to those holiday staples. Recently, I posted a recipe for my vegan green bean casserole. Here now is my healthy candied yams. These healthy candied yams got the thumbs up from my non vegan in laws. I hope you like it too.
Before starting this recipe, I thought that sweet potatoes and yams were pretty much the same. After doing some research, I found they are actually quite different. Yams are much sweeter with a darker flesh than sweet potatoes. That is probably why they work so well in this dish
I made this recipe with only one yam because I wasn’t sure how it would taste. Feel free to double this.
Healthy Candied Yams
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 yam cubed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice the yam into 1 inch cubes.
- Throw them in a pot of boiling water for about 5-7 minutes until they are slightly underdone.
- Transfer then yams to a greased baking pan. (For this recipe I used an 8X8 glass dish)
- In a measuring cup, mix the orange juice, 1T maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture over the yams.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- For the last 2 minutes of cooking, pull the dish out and brush with the last T of maple syrup. Enjoy!