I love tomato soup. I used to be a huge fan of the kind in the can. I had never attempted my own tomato soup before until now. It came out really good. I always thought soup was one of the harder meals to make, but really, it is so easy.
You simply just throw everything in the pot and walk away. Now that is my idea of cooking! I even chopped up all the veggies in the food processor instead of hand dicing them. I did mine on the stove, but it would be extra good in the crock pot too! We just have a small crock pot and I wanted to make a good amount of soup so I could freeze some.
Rustic Tomato Soup
15 minPrep Time
2 hrCook Time
2 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 28 oz cans whole peeled tomatoes chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 4-5 cloves garlic diced
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 1.4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 T olive oil
- salt to taste
- Throw everything in a pot and cook on low covered for at least 2 hours. I like to cook mine longer. The longer it cooks, the more the flavors develop.
- Uncover and add a bit of flour to thicken. I use brown rice flour.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later. Hope you like it as much as we did.