It’s been a while since I posted a sweet recipe. So I am sharing these banana chocolate chip donuts. If you don’t know already, I have a sweet tooth. So in order to get my sweet fix, I need to create healthier alternatives. This banana chocolate chip donut recipe is one way to curb a sweet tooth.
I may have gone a little over board with the chips. It’s all good though. These are healthy enough to eat for a breakfast and they should keep you satiated for quite sometime. This recipe was supposed to be called Apple Donuts, but I realized I was short on applesauce so I had to improvise by adding banana. I make a big batch of these so I have some to freeze, some to snack on and some for my father-in-law who loves to taste test these recipes.
Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (for a gluten free version, sub GF all purpose or GF oat flour)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (maple syrup will work too, but you may need to slightly decrease the liquid somewhere else in the recipe)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 banana smashed
- 2 T almond milk
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean or extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips or raisins (I used carob chips)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Mix wet into another.
- Add dry to wet.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon batter onto greased donut pans and bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.