Ever since I wrote the post about Boca Burgers Exposed, I have been making it a mission to create easy veggie burger recipes. Like these black bean veggie burgers. You can read about the Boca Burger post here. This is a burger recipe we have been making for a long time, so I thought it was about time to get it up on the blog. These burgers provides a nice alternative that even older kids should be able to sink their jaws into. These black bean veggie burgers would be great on whole grain bread, in a sprouted corn tortilla or served over quinoa. The key to making this a tasty dish is the caramelized onions and the crispy outside.
This recipe makes a lot so you will be able to freeze some. That is what we do. These would go great with my Healthy French Fries.
Black Bean Veggie Burgers
20 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 4 cups black beans (we use dried, but if you canned, it would be about 2 cans)
- 1 sweet onion diced (we used a food processor)
- 2 T walnut oil
- 1 flax egg
- 1 1/4 cup frozen organic corn
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup flour (I used brown rice flour )
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Dice or food process the onion.
- Saute the onions in the walnut oil on medium heat until they are caramelized.
- In a food processor , mix the beans, flax egg and milk until the beans are mostly smooth.
- Put the bean mixture, the onions and the remaining ingredients in a bowl to combine.
- To finish, lightly oil a baking pan, grab a quarter cup of the mixture at a time, flatten in a nice round patty, and place on pan.
- Continue until the mixture is gone.
- Bake in oven for about 45 – 60 minutes turning over once about half way through.
When serving, they go really well with some avocado. Enjoy!