For these Gluten Free Coconut Cookies, I was forced to do something a little different for me. I wanted to make a batch of cookies, but I ran out of spelt flour. So I had to make do with my hodge-podge of pantry ingredients. I am glad I did because these cookies came out delicious! Gluten free too!
Gluten Free Coconut Cookies
Serves: 16 cookies
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup Wholesome Sweeteners coconut sugar
- 1 flax egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 T almond milk
- Optional: ⅓ cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Blend the oats and almonds together until they are the consistency of flour. Works great in a Vitamix. Pour the mixture in a bowl.
- Blend 1 cup shaved coconut into a fine consistency. What remains should equal about ½ cup.
- Add the coconut, the coconut sugar and the brown rice flour to the almond/oat mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet to dry.
- With wet hands, form dough into balls and place on lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart. The dough will be sticky.
- Once all the dough is rolled into balls, you can add the chocolate chips to the tops of each ball.
- Bake in the oven for about 12-14 minutes.
- I got about 16 cookies. Not too many are left though. May be doing a second batch tomorrow!