I have been having a love affair lately with all things coconut. It is just so yummy! So, I am sharing another delicious coconut creation that was inspired by my Coconut Strawberry Muffins. These are my Coconut Date Bars!
For these I used chickpea flour again. After I made my Strawberry Coconut Muffins, I thought the dense texture that the chickpea flour produces was much more suited for a brownie/bar type recipe. So here goes.
Coconut Date Bars
Yields 9 squares
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1/4 cup spelt flour (For a gluten free option, try subbing spelt for 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose. I have not tried it though)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 T coconut oil
- 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg (I used a flax egg)
- For the filling:
- 6 medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small food processor or magic bullet , mix the dates and water until you get a paste-like consistency.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the bars in a large bowl.
- Mix all the wet into a medium bowl.
- Add wet to dry.
- Line an 8X8 pan with parchment leaving enough room for a bit of parchment to come out the sides. This will make the bars easier to remove when cooled.
- Spread a thin amount of batter so the whole bottom of the pan is covered. The batter will be a bit sticky.
- Once the bottom is covered, spread the date paste on top.
- Finish with the remaining amount of batter and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Let the bars cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting.
- Once they are cooled, grab the ends of the parchment paper and lift the whole thing out.
- Cut with a pizza cutter into squares.