Let’s face it. We all want to indulge from time to time. I mean, who doesn’t like ice cream, especially cookie dough ice cream? Problem is, most store bought brands are laden with chemicals and processed sugars. Even the organic ones. It’s hard to find one that doesn’t contain carrageenan, which is a possible carcinogen. So I created this little treat for you.
It was 80 degrees today in Texas and I broke out my ice cream maker for the first time in months. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, I highly suggest getting one. It is so much cheaper to make your own ice cream. This recipe couldn’t be easier. It’s dairy free, soy free, can be made gluten free and free of refined sugars. For the cookie dough part, I used my No Bake Cookie Dough Bites and rolled them into tiny balls. You will have some extra left over, but I promise they are delicious!
Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- 1 can unsweetened coconut (Please get the thick coconut milk in the can. I have not had success with regular coconut)
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean
- cookie dough
- Optional add ins: chocolate chips, cacao nibs, nuts, coconut
- Make sure you have had the ice cream bowl frozen for at least 18 hours. It has to be good and cold. I made the cookie dough ahead of time and had it chilling in the fridge.
- Pour all the ingredients except the cookie dough into the ice cream machine.
- Turn the machine on. It will take about 15 minutes.
- When the mixture starts to look like it is coming together and almost done, add in the cookie dough.
- Stop as soon as it looks like soft serve ice cream.
- If you wish for a harder ice cream, you can put the ice cream in a bowl and stick it in the freezer for about 15 minutes. That’s it!