I have been trying hard to get more beets into my diet. They are so good for you. I tried blending them up in my vitamix, but couldn’t get them down. It was not very good. Maybe they are one of those things you have to get used to? Coconut was like that for me. I used to hate it, but now I can’t get enough! I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest. It’s from Gluten-Free Goddess and it was amazing! Check out her blog if you get a chance. Lots of yummy recipes and many are vegan.
I have made roasted beets in the past and I thought they were delicious. So I decided to give this a go. I am so glad I did! I did change a few things in the recipe, but I mostly kept it as is. I am not a fan of oranges in salad, so I omitted those.
Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets
Serving size: 4 servings
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 beets peeled (greens removed) and cubed
- 2 T avocado or coconut oil
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of half a large orange or ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari (I used organic soy)
- 1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 T raw honey or maple syrup
- 3-4 handfuls of baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place the beets on a lined baking sheet and drizzle with the 2 T coconut or avocado oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- While the beets are roasting, you can cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. I actually cooked the quinoa the day before. If you buy your quinoa in bulk, cook it 2 parts water per 1 part quinoa.
- Once the beets are done roasting, let them cool.
- Once cooled, combine the beets and quinoa in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine: olive oil, orange juice, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic and honey.
- Whisk into a dressing.
- Pour over the beets and quinoa.
- Fold in the spinach.
- Now salt to taste and that’s it.