Healthier Corn Fritters. So a few weeks ago, our co-op offered an add on of 48 ears of organic and non GMO corn. I love corn on the cob, so I got the add on.
That day, we boiled and cut all the corn and stuck most of it in the freezer. It took all day! I used some to make my Honey Balsamic Bean Salad. This weekend, we decided to make corn fritters. The traditional way calls for deep frying.
We pan seared ours and then baked them. So they still have a crunchy crust, but are mostly baked. This is one of my husband’s recipes.
These came out so good! It’s been rainy here the last couple days and I didn’t want to eat them before I was able to get photos.
I am so glad I got a chance to shoot these so I can have them for lunch today. These fritters would be perfect on top of a salad, eaten as a burger, or just topped with some avocado.
Healthier Corn Fritters
Yields 10 - 12 fritters
10 minPrep Time
22 minCook Time
32 minTotal Time
- 2 cups corn (please try to use organic if possible)
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup organic cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole wheat
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chives chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 T red onion chopped
- 2-3 T oil (I used walnut oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Throw all the ingredients in a bowl , and mix until the batter comes together. I did this by hand.
- Form into small patties. I used a 1/4 cup measurement for this.
- Lightly oil a large saucepan on medium to medium high heat.
- Lay the patties into the pan and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side. Just enough to give it a nice crispy outside. You may need to add a bit more oil if the pan looks dry.
- Repeat these steps until all the patties are seared.
- Lay the patties on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, stopping in the middle to flip them over. Enjoy!
I got 10-12 patties out of this batch.