Who doesn’t like pumpkin pie? I find people will scour the internet for a good pumpkin pie recipe this time of year too. I’ve been trying pretty hard to get a pumpkin pie recipe just right. I have had several fails. I am happy to tell you that this grain free pumpkin pie is delicious. This pumpkin pie is not only grain free, but it’s vegan, gluten free and soy free as well! So I am happy to say I finally have a healthy grain free pumpkin pie recipe that is good enough to share!
This pumpkin pie even got the thumbs up from my girls. They both wanted to eat it before I had a chance to take photos! Just for the record, they claim to not like pumpkin. :) For the crust, I decided to use a recipe from Elena’s Pantry. Because, why mess with perfection? Her crust recipe is amazing and so simple. I hope you enjoy this pumpkin pie recipe as much as we enjoyed eating it.
Grain Free Pumpkin Pie
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 T coconut oil (melted)
- 1 flax egg (I used a flaxegg replacement and it worked great)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (fresh or canned is fine)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 T arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, mix the flour and salt. Then add in the egg and coconut oil and mix until a dough starts to form.
- Once the dough forms, press it into a greased glass pie dish. I used a 9 inch. Bake it in the oven for about 9-11 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend all the filling ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into baked pie crust and bake in the oven at 350 for about 50-60 minutes.
When mine was done cooling, it still felt slightly loose, so I put it in the fridge and it completely firmed up. That worked out great. I think that arrowroot is just a tad less stable than cornstarch. However, it is free of GMOs and that’s why I used it over cornstarch. Enjoy!