The other day my husband asked me to make some more of my Nutella Filled Banana Muffins with pecan butter instead of homemade nutella. Well money was tight this week and all I had left in the house for flour was almond flour and coconut flour. So I decided to make due with what I had and create a grain free version. They came out good!
So good that I had to share. If you are new to grain free baking, please let me tell you the texture will be different to traditional baked goods made with gluten. Not bad at all, just different. The pecan butter in the middle is a delicious surprise. Of course you can use another nut butter if you like. Sunflower butter can also be used.
Grain Free Banana Pecan Muffins
Yields 12 muffins
15 minPrep Time
18 minCook Time
33 minTotal Time
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs (I used flax egg replacements)
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 T coconut oil (or more applesauce)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk )
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice (I used pecan butter)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl .
- Mix wet in another.
- Add dry to wet and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Line or grease a muffin pan. I used standard sized muffin pans .
- Spoon a small amount of batter into the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Scoop a bit of pecan butter and put it on top of the batter.
- Fill the remainder of each muffin cup with batter. Since the batter is thicker, you may have to mold it around the pecan butter .
- Bake in the oven for about 15-18 minutes.
It’s hard to tell when they are actually done since the consistency is a bit different than traditional batter. I got 12 muffins out of my batch. They will only last a couple days on the counter. The can be refrigerated for a couple weeks and frozen for longer. Enjoy!