Okay, so I know I am late with the black eyed pea dish. I know traditionally black eyed peas are eaten on New Years Day for good luck. In fact, we did eat this dish on New Years Day. I just never anticipated it would be good enough to blog about. It was awesome. In fact, we may eat this super easy black eyed peas and rice next New Years Day as well. You should too. It’s yummy! This is another one of my husband’s creations. He also has come up with Acorn Stuffed Squash with Wild Rice and Peanut Noodle Stir Fry.
I just love the simple ingredient list for these Super Easy Black Eyed Peas. You probably already have most of the ingredients to make them! Who says you only have to have black eyed peas on New Years? They are great all year round.
I filmed a short video for this recipe below.
Super Easy Black Eyed Peas
Yields 4 servings
An easy meal with very few ingredients!
20 minPrep Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups black eyed peas
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 T roasted pepitas or pistachios
- 1 T coconut oil
- salt to taste
- In a saute pan , saute the onions and oil for about 5 minutes.
- Then add in the cooked brown rice, tomatoes and black eyed peas.
- Lower heat, add salt and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add in the pepitas and serve.
This should last in the fridge for about a week. It can be frozen for longer storage.