When I went vegan, I thought grilled cheese was out of my reach. Of course I could use one of the commercially made vegan cheeses on the market, but I don’t think their ingredients are ideal. So I was left to create a vegan grilled cheese from whole food ingredients. We have been using our dairy free cheese sauce in many recipes lately, so I thought I would test it out by making this vegan grilled cheese. It’s not only good, but the caramelized onions boost it into awesomeness.
The only downside to this vegan grilled cheese is that they need to be made to order. However, the onions and the cheese sauce can be made ahead of time. You will just need to assemble the sandwich right before you choose to eat it. These vegan grilled cheese sandwiches were so good, I am already thinking of all the variations I could come up with.
Now vegans can enjoy this classic sandwich as well!
- 1 1/2 cups sliced raw yellow onion
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 slices of bread (I used Ezekiel Sprouted Grain bread)
- 4 T caramelized onions
- 6 T cashew cheese sauce
- 10 leaves of baby spinach
- In a saucepan, on medium low heat, saute the onions in oil and salt. Cover and continue to saute until the onions break down.
- Once the onions are caramelized, assemble the sandwiches.
- For each sandwich add 2 slices of bread, 2 T cashew cheese sauce and 5 leaves of baby spinach.
- In a saucepan, grill each sandwich in a little coconut oil until both sides are browned.
- Serve immediately.
If you want to make this gluten free, just use your favorite gluten free bread.