About a year ago, I came up with a recipe for copycat KIND bars. The KIND bar recipe that I created was modeled after the trail mix brand. It’s been on my mind to create another KIND bar recipe ever since. So the other day I attempted another. This one was for the Blueberry Vanilla Cashew flavor. Well mine didn’t exactly hold together well, but the flavor was AMAZING so I had to share it in the form of trail mix.
I spent my entire 20’s hiking and backpacking all over the country. I used to swear that trail mix was what kept me going. However, back then, my idea of trail mix was Cheerios, peanuts, M&Ms and raisins. Live and learn right? I wish I had this trail mix on hand back then!
Even though my KIND bar recipe was a fail, I think I know what I did wrong and I have plans to create another in the very near future. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Blueberry Vanilla Cashew Trail Mix
A healthy snack for on the go!
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 2-3 chopped dates
- 2 tsp ground vanilla beans or vanilla extract
- 2 T coconut oil (measure after melting)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the liquid sweetener and coconut oil. Stir until melted.
- Pour the heated mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until everything is coated.
- Spread the mixture onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, stopping to shake the mixture around every 10 minutes.
- Let it cool completely. This is a very important step. Some of the mixture will be clumped together. You can just break it apart easily. I did that before storing.
I stored my trail mix on the counter in a glass mason jar. It should last a couple weeks. You can also refrigerate or freeze it for longer storage.