I love my slow cooker. I try and make as many things in it as possible. I have made slow cooker soups, slow cooker glazed nuts and slow cooker breakfast quinoa. However, I had never thought to make cookies or granola bars in the slow cooker! So when I saw this recipe on Lauren Kelly Nutrition, I knew I just had to try it! If you haven’t checked out her blog, you should! Lots of good gluten free recipes.
My recipe is slightly different than Lauren’s. I changed a few things to suit my own tastes. I called my version bars, because they seemed more like chewy granola bars to me. I personally loved this recipe and I was sad when they were all gone. These slow cooker granola bars are gluten free and vegan. 🙂
Slow Cooker Coconut Granola Bars
Yields 8 bars
A healthy snack you can make in the slow cooker!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tsp ground vanilla beans or vanilla extract
- 2 T chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4-5 chopped medjool dates
- 2 flax eggs
- In one bowl , combine all the dry ingredients.
- Combine wet in another bowl .
- Add wet to dry and mix until everything is combined.
- Fold in the chopped dates.
- Grease the slow cooker . I used a 7 quart.
- Place some parchment paper in the bottom of the slow cooker and also up the sides.
- Grease the parchment paper as well.
- Spoon batter into the slow cooker and pat the mixture down well so it's evenly distributed.
- Cook on low for about 2 1/2 hours. (You can tell it's done when the middle is no longer mushy.
- Once the bars are done, pull them out by grabbing the parchment paper. Set them aside to cool for 40 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled completely, cut it into bars using a pizza cutter.
These bars need to be stored in the refrigerator. You can also freeze them.
Recipe adapted from Lauren Kelly Nutrition