There is just something about oatmeal cookies. Almost everyone loves them! Myself included. I know many people are fans of the oatmeal cream pies found in the snack section of your local grocery store. Well I decided to try a vegan and gluten free version of those! Mine are oatmeal cream pies with a maple cream. They are delicious!
I made mine a little different. I added a maple cream because I just love maple syrup and they reminded me of the oatmeal cream pies I used to buy from Whole Foods. They were in the bakery. OMG so good! However, I don’t think they were vegan or gluten free. My recipe may not taste exactly like Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Cream Pies, but they are still delicious. Oil free and refined sugar free!
A healthier version of the store bought favorite!
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 flax eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut butter
- 2 T maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix wet in another bowl.
- Add wet to dry and mix only until combined.
- Drop cookies on a lined baking sheet. I used a cookie scoop for mine.
- Once all the cookies are on the baking sheet, flatten them with your palm.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. While they are baking, you can make the filling.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Once the cookies are done baking and have cooled completely, frost them and make sandwiches.
These should last several weeks in the fridge. The cream will harden a bit in the fridge, so feel free to heat the cookies a little before eating. Enjoy!