We are in the middle of berry season here. I am also starting to see rhubarb showing up in the grocery stores. I have had numerous requests to do some more strawberry rhubarb recipes. Currently the only strawberry rhubarb recipe I have is my strawberry rhubarb sorbet. Well now I can add a healthy strawberry rhubarb crisp to the list. This healthy strawberry rhubarb crisp is not only made healthier, it is also delicious! I will even go as far as to say this strawberry rhubarb crisp is healthy enough for breakfast! If you like strawberry desserts, you may also like my Strawberry Creme Truffles.
This strawberry rhubarb crisp is vegan and gluten free, but I will also include a grain free option in the recipe instructions. I used chia seeds to gel up the filling and I must say the taste and texture is awesome. I had to stop myself from eating too much at once. My strawberry rhubarb crisp has a sweet, but tart taste. I like that, but if you like things even sweeter, I suggest trying the fruit mixture before putting it in the oven. You can always add some extra maple syrup if you like.
A healthier version of the classic dessert!
- 1 16 oz package of strawberries sliced
- 2 stalks rhubarb sliced thin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 T chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats (You can use almonds for a grain free option.)
- 2 T coconut oil
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In medium sized saucepan, add the sliced strawberries, sliced rhubarb, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest and sea salt. Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb looks softened. Mine took about 10 minutes.
- Once that mixture is softened, add the chia seeds and stir well. Take a taste. If it's too tart for you, you can always add a little more maple syrup. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, combine all the crumble topping ingredients and pulse a couple times until everything comes together.
- Add the fruit mixture to a greased baking dish. I used an 8x8 glass dish.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping on top of the fruit.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the topping looks golden in color.
Store this strawberry rhubarb crisp in the fridge. It should keep for at least a week. I highly suggest warming it up and adding a little ice cream. I think it would be awesome with my strawberry ice cream. Enjoy!