I just love making my own ice cream. The ice cream maker pays for itself in just a few batches. Organic, gluten free and dairy free ice cream at the store costs a fortune! With homemade, I get to control the ingredients, and I can come up with delicious flavors like this coffee caramel chip ice cream. If you loved my 3 ingredient coffee popsicles, then you will love this new ice cream! One of the best things about this coffee caramel ice cream is that there is no added sugar. That’s right. This ice cream recipe is only sweetened with dates!
I used my pecan caramel ice cream as inspiration for this recipe. This ice cream is vegan, gluten free and paleo. Another great thing you can do with this recipe is to make a magic shell using this recipe.
Caramel Coffee Chip Ice Cream
It's like a frozen caramel macchiato. Yum!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 12 medjool dates (pits removed)
- 2 T dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Soak the dates for at least 30 minutes in enough water to cover them. I soaked mine on the counter top.
- Once the dates are soaked, add them to a blender with a tiny amount of water and blend into a caramel paste.
- In an ice cream bowl, add the coconut milk and coffee and mix well. Turn on the ice cream machine. It should take about 15-20 minutes to make ice cream.
- When the ice cream looks like it has about 5 minutes left, slowly add the caramel and help guide the ice cream while it churns so it gets mixed well. If you are adding chocolate chips, now would be a good time to add them as well.
**Please make sure your ice cream bowl has been in the freezer at least 18 hours before making this ice cream. The ice cream will be a soft serve consistency. If you like a harder ice cream, you can place it in the freezer for another hour before eating. I like to store mine in this tub. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can always make this into popsicles. I like these molds and these push pops.