I love homemade veggie burgers and these Acorn Squash Veggie Burgers are my latest creation. Well actually, they were created by my husband, Marcus. Sometimes you have an idea for an awesome recipe and it doesn’t turn out as expected. However, sometimes you can turn that into another delicious recipe instead. That is exactly what happened in the case of these acorn squash veggie burgers. We roasted the squash a little too long and it could not be chopped into cubes. So we decided to puree it and make these veggie burgers instead. One can never have too many veggie burger recipes right?
These veggie burgers were great on their own with a side of veggies. They should also work well if they are eaten with a bun. I am just not a huge bread person, so I usually skip it. One of my favorite sides to eat with this is my maple glazed Brussel sprouts or my simple roasted broccoli. If you didn’t want to use acorn squash, this could also probably work with sweet potato, butternut squash or pumpkin.
Acorn Squash Veggie Burgers
Yields 15 burgers
A healthy veggie burger recipe you will love!
5 minPrep Time
1 hr, 30 Cook Time
1 hr, 35 Total Time
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup red onion (diced)
- 1 cup pistachios (pieces)
- 1/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp chili powder
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut squash in half and remove the seeds. Brush the squash with oil and place face down on a lined baking sheet .
- Bake for about 45 minutes. You can tell it's done when you can easily press a fork through the flesh.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove skin.
- Put squash in a colander for 20 minutes, with a bowl underneath, to let excess water drip off as it cools.
- After the squash is mostly cooled, mix all ingredients in a dry bowl.
- Form into patties about a quarter cup at a time, place on a baking sheet , and put in oven to bake for 30-35 minutes. Flip them halfway through.
- Remove and serve.
These burgers should last a week in the fridge. You can also freeze them for longer storage. Enjoy!