The other day I had a reader ask if I had a gluten free apple muffin. I did not at the time, so that is why I created these Apple Spice Coffee Cake Muffins. These apple spice coffee cake muffins are good with or without the crumb topping. In fact, they are completely oil free if you skip the crumb topping. I did half with and half without and both ways are delicious. The applesauce in this recipe keeps these super moist. My daughter kept trying to sneak some when they were cooling! If you like apple treats you may also enjoy my healthy apple cobbler and my healthy apple pie.
I made mine into jumbo muffins, but you can also do standard sized. You may need to adjust the cooking time though. These muffins freeze great so you can make a big batch and freeze for those busy mornings.
Apple Spice Coffee Cake Muffins
Yields 12 standard muffins or 6 jumbo muffins
It's like having coffee cake in muffin form! Gluten free and vegan.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups sorghum flour or gluten free oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 2 flax eggs (real eggs work too)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3 T gluten free flour
- 3 T coconut sugar
- 2 T coconut oil (measure after melting)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the muffins in one bowl .
- Mix wet in another bowl .
- Add wet to dry and mix until combined.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin cups. I used silicone muffin cups . If you use paper muffin cups, you will need to spray them with oil before adding the batter in. This will prevent them from sticking.
- To make the crumb topping, mix all topping ingredients in a bowl. Once everything looks like it's clumped together, sprinkle a little over each muffin.
- I used jumbo muffin cups and baked mine for about 20-25 minutes. If you use standard sized muffin cups, you can probably bake these in half the time.
- Let the muffins cool completely before removing from the muffin pans.
Store these muffins in the fridge. They should last at least 2 weeks. You can also freeze them for longer storage. Enjoy!