For the longest time, my husband has been wanting to make a cream of broccoli soup. I wasn’t sure he could successfully make a vegan cream of broccoli soup. He totally outdid himself with this vegan cream of broccoli soup! Despite the name, this healthy soup has no cream! This soup is really easy to make too. If you are a fan of soups, you may also like this post full of healthy soup recipes.
I used almond milk in my recipe, but you could also use full fat coconut milk for an extra rich texture. Another option would be to top this with a cashew cream. Yum! This cream of broccoli soup is vegan and gluten free. I added some nutritional yeast for a slight cheesy flavor. I cooked this on the stove top, but you can also cook this soup in the crock pot as well.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Yields 5-6 servings
A healthier version of the classic recipe!
10 minPrep Time
3 hrCook Time
3 hr, 10 Total Time
- 4 big heads of broccoli
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups of veggie broth
- sea salt to taste
- Put all the ingredients, except the almond milk, in a large pot . Cook covered on med-low for 2-3 hours.
- Once the soup is broken down a bit, you can use an immersion blender to puree it. If you don't have an immersion blender, transferring it to a regular blender may work too.
- Once the soup is pureed, add the almond milk. Mix until well incorporated.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate/freeze for later.
I like to refrigerate/freeze these in serving sized portions so I can just grab out what I need. This soup should last a week in the fridge and up to 6 months in the freezer. Enjoy!