My husband comes up with a lot of the savory recipes on this blog. This Thai Coconut Rice is one of his creations. He loved it so much that he declared, “This ranks right up there with the Peanut Noodle Stir Fry!” If you have made that recipe, then you know that is a high compliment. He made this a little spicy, but you can certainly omit the jalapeno pepper if you don’t want the heat. Some of the other recipes he has made are Homemade Sriracha and Sweet Potato Chili.
This Thai Coconut Rice is pretty easy to make. It’s vegan and gluten free too.
Thai Coconut Rice
Yields 4-5 servings
Just as good as takeout!
15 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 15oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 1 cup crushed roasted peanuts
- 1-2 T chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
- In a small pot , add the rice, water, coconut milk, garlic and ginger.
- Cook on low heat for 30 minutes mostly covered. Stir a few times to keep the rice from sticking on the bottom
- Once cooked, cover and turn the heat off.
- In a another large saute pan , add the peppers, onion, carrots, and jalapeno to a pan with the toasted sesame oil and saute on medium high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the heat, and stir in the rice.
- Add the cilantro, green onions.
- Add the peanuts and serve.
This should last about 1 week in the fridge. Enjoy!