I had these Sweet Potato Chickpea Tots while in Napa a few weeks ago. They were so delicious and they are very kid friendly. A great way to sneak some veggies and beans into your kids. The original recipe came from Bellingham Middle School in MA, which is ironically next to the town I grew up in! I made a few changes to the original recipe, and I think they came out great! I topped them with my Homemade BBQ Sauce. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
This recipe makes a lot of tots, but they do freeze very well. To freeze, simply lay them on a lined baking sheet and place in the freezer. Once frozen, you can pop them into a ziplock bag and freeze them for up to 6 months. These healthy tots are also gluten free and vegan.
Sweet Potato Chickpea Tots
A healthy dinner option for your kids!!
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (If using dried chickpeas, cook and save the liquid. If using canned, please do not drain the liquid.
- 1/2 cup fresh green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the shredded potatoes on a lined baking sheet .
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Only until tender. Please be careful not to over cook.
- Once the potatoes are done, increase the oven temp to 400.
- In a food processor , puree the chickpeas, INCLUDING the liquid, until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the shredded sweet potatoes, pureed chickpeas, green onions, spices and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes to make the tots easier to form.
- Using a cookie scoop , form the tots and place each one on a lined baking sheet . Gently flatten each one.
- Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.
These should last about 10 days in the fridge and up to 6 months in the freezer. Enjoy!