Is there a vegan in your family? I have the perfect recipe for you. This Lentil Stuffed Acorn Squash is healthy, easy, and very flavorful! For Thanksgiving a few years ago, we served a wild rice stuffed acorn squash and it was a huge success. Even with the meat eaters!
You can make the filling a day ahead if you like. It should hold up great. Then on the day you are serving, all you need to do is roast the squash and assemble.
I love all the colors in this healthy recipe. When I went to buy the squash for this, they only had tiny acorn squashes, so that is why mine look kind of small. However, the beauty of this recipe is that you can make the squash any size you like. The filling is also pretty delicious on it’s own.
I filmed a short video for this recipe as well. Check it out below. For more videos, you can subscribe to my You Tube Channel.
Lentil Stuffed Acorn Squash
Yields 4 servings
This dish is full of fall and winter seasonal produce. The perfect vegan dish for your holiday celebrations!
15 minPrep Time
17 minCook Time
32 minTotal Time
- 1 large acorn squash OR 3 small ones.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup pomegranates (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut the squash in rings, cut out the seeds, brush with oil and place on a lined baking sheet . Bake for about 22-27 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Scrape the seeds off the middles of the acorn squash and cube the remaining squash pieces. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan , on medium-high heat, add the water, dry lentils and onions. Cover and let simmer for about 7 minutes.
- Then add the Brussels sprouts, remaining squash cubes, sage, thyme, and salt. Reduce heat to medium and cover for 10 minutes, or until Brussels sprouts are soft. Remove the lid for the last few minutes to let any remaining water boil off.
- Place one acorn squash ring on a plate. Place the lentil filling in the middle and garnish with pomegranates.
To store: Place in an airtight container in the fridge. This should keep for at least 5 days. Enjoy!