My husband LOVES spicy food and he created this Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup. I am a huge wimp when it comes to all things spicy, so this recipe is all his. He loved the way it came out too! It’s also a super cinch to make. If you love spicy recipes, you should definitely check out his homemade sriracha recipe and also his green curry with chickpeas.
I know traditionally, tortilla soup is made from toasted tortilla strips, but we had some tortilla chips leftover from a party, so we decided to use those. If you like the strips better, you can use those instead. Either way is fine.
This recipe literally takes a few minutes to throw everything in the pot, then you just walk away and let it cook. The house will smell so good too! Next time, we will be sure to try it with my vegan sour cream on top. Yum!!
If you like some heat, but not too much, you can take the seeds out of the jalapeno. Marcus left them in because he likes things extra spicy. You could also add a little cayenne as well. We also filmed a short video for this recipe. You can see it below.
Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
Yields 4 - 5 servings
Healthy Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup that is a super cinch to make! Vegan and gluten free.
10 minPrep Time
3 hrCook Time
3 hr, 10 Total Time
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans OR 2 15-ounce cans beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups tomatoes, diced
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (red or yellow work best)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Tortilla chips or tortilla strips
- Garnish options: lime juice, avocado, cilantro, vegan sour cream
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker , except the tortilla chips, and cook on high for about 3-4 hours. Once done, you can add the tortilla chips or strips and choose whatever garnish options you like. Enjoy!
This should keep at least 4-5 days in the fridge. You can also freeze it for longer.