I made you a healthy apple pie! Last night I had the urge to make crock pot applesauce. Just thinking about it reminds me of the applesauce my great grandmother used to make when I was little. After I gathered all the ingredients, made the apple sauce, and tasted the final product, I immediately thought to make a homemade apple pie. Here in Dallas today, its cold and overcast. Just perfect for staying in and enjoying some comfort food.
I have updated this recipe to include a grain free option for the crust. The grain free crust is not baked. You only need to bake the pie once you have added the apple mixture and the topping. I hope you enjoy it!
Healthy Apple Pie
- About 8 apples. (I used granny smiths because I like the tart flavors)
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- A few tbsp milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pecans
- 10 medjool dates
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 2 T coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook of high, stirring every once and a while, and it should be done in 3-4 hrs.
- Combine the first three ingredients in a food processor. . It will be pretty dry.
- Then start to add the milk until the mixture forms into a dough.
- Roll out the dough and place it in a greased pie pan.
- Throw everything in the food processor until a dough starts to form.
- Press dough into a greased pie shell.
- Add the apple mixture to the pie.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Combine oats and coconut oil in a food processor.
- Slowly add milk just so the mixture comes together.
- Sprinkle on top of the pie.
- Bake in the oven at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!