When I went vegan, I thought grilled cheese was out of my reach. Of course I could use one of the commercially made vegan cheeses on the market, but I don’t think their ingredients are ideal. So I was left to create a vegan grilled cheese from whole food ingredients. We have been using our dairy free cheese sauce in many recipes lately, so I thought I would test it out by making this vegan grilled cheese. It’s not only good, but the caramelized onions boost it into awesomeness.
I love veggie burgers. It seems you readers love them too because my Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. As you may know, most store bought versions are not very healthy. That’s why I make my own. So much cheaper too! These adzuki bean veggie burgers are my latest creation.
My younger daughter Olive loved these! She is mostly tube fed and still learning how to eat by mouth so it was kind of a big deal to see her stuffing this into her mouth. You can read more about her in the About Me section of the blog. We liked these so much that I made a second batch yesterday. Adzuki beans are mainly grown in East Asia. They are tiny red beans, but don’t let the size fool you. These little beans are packed with healthy nutrients. They are high in iron, potassium and folic acid. I got mine out of the bulk bins at Whole Foods.
Adzuki Bean Veggie Burgers
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a saute pan, saute the onions and carrots in the oil on med/high heat for about 5-10 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse the beans several times until they are half mashed.
- In a bowl, mix the quinoa, beans, onions, carrots, garlic, bbq sauce, egg and water until everything is incorporated.
- Add the salt to taste.
- Using your hands, form patties and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and serve.