Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2012/10/09/homemade-almond-milk/
© 2012 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Homemade Almond Milk
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 4 cups water (you can play around with the water depending on if you want a thicker or thinner result)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (I use crushed vanilla bean .)
- Soak almonds overnight.
- Rinse the almonds until the water comes out clean.
- Blend the almonds, water and vanilla in a blender for about 2 minutes.
- Then have your cheesecloth, strainer and bowl ready for the “milking”.
- Squeeze the meal inside the cheesecloth until no more liquid comes out. This takes a bit of muscle. Once complete the left over liquid is the milk.
Once all the water is out, dump the meal onto a plate or baking sheet. You are left with almond meal afterwards. Don’t throw this meal out. It can be dried out in the oven and used in place of flour. It is also gluten free. I set my oven to 200 and bake it for about an hour. It will make your house smell like yummy almond cookies. Before using as flour, I would suggest that you process it into a finer, flour like consistency.
To store the milk, choose a bottle that you can shake because the milk will separate. It can probably keep well for about a week in the fridge although mine never lasts that long.