Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2012/10/21/savory-and-simple-squash-soup-with-caramelized-onions/
© 2012 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Savory and Simple Squash Soup With Caramelized Onions
- 1 kobacha squash (butternut or acorn would work great too.)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste (no pepper)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- almond milk
- 2 shallots sliced thin
- 2 T oil (I used organic coconut oil)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut kobocha in two and remove seeds.
- Roast for 45-60 minutes in oven until soft on the inside (kind of like boiling a potato).
- Remove from oven and remove skin from squash and place in a food processor.
- Add spices and salt and begin blending. I also add milk to get the consistency just right.
- There is no proper set amount for this, but I used about a cup in my soup.
- Place the sliced shallots in a frying pan in a clump, add the oil and the salt.
- Turn on medium-low heat covering the pan.
- Every five minutes or so, remove the cover, move the onions around to keep from burning, keep them in a nice clump, and re-cover the pan.
- After about 15 minutes or so, they will begin to brown.
- Once they are browned, clump them on top of the soup. It will look delicious, taste even better, and wow your guests with a gourmet look. :)