Thanksgiving is almost here, and now is the perfect time to start rolling out the gingerbread recipes! Here’s a healthier version of an old favorite, the gingerbread cookie. The gingerbread cookie is a great recipe to do with your kids. My daughter, Meadow, helped me make and cut these gingerbread cookies out. She also dumped flour all over my kitchen counter and spooned handfuls of dough in her mouth when she thought I wasn’t looking. Gotta love kids.
I have an exciting update to this post for you! Not only am I sharing a healthy gingerbread cookie recipe, but MightyNest is giving away over $100+ of healthy baking products perfect for your holiday baking!!
MightyNest for schools supports the school of your choice. If you sign your school up, every time you shop on Mighty Nest, they will donate 15% of the sales to your school. So you get safe, eco-friendly, reusable products for your kids and home, and you earn money for your school. Can it get better than that? Mighty Nest also supports healthy eating and living by sharing tips and challenges. One lucky reader will win $100+ in healthy cookie baking products! To enter the giveaway, please scroll down to the bottom of this post.
Most gingerbread cookies I have made in the past end up hard as rocks. I love that these cookies are a bit on the softer side. Probably due to the applesauce I put in them. These cookies have very little fat and contain no processed sugar so feel free to have a few!
Healthy Gingerbread Cookies
Healthy Gingerbread Cookies
- 3 cups flour (I used spelt flour )
- 1/3 cup + 1 T maple syrup
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2-1 T ginger (depending on how much kick you like)
- 1 flax egg (I used a flax egg)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 T applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Mix wet in another.
- Add dry to wet and mix only until combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and cut into two equal parts.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- After two hours, remove the dough from the fridge.
- Roll the dough onto a floured surface until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Please use additional flour if necessary.
- Cut dough into desired shapes and place them onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 8 minutes and then let them cool a bit before removing.
- Set them aside to completely cool before decorating. Enjoy!
When you purchase through MightyNest, you get to support the school of your choice. Bet you can’t wait to get baking! Take the pledge to consider using healthier baking products and sign your school up today! Good luck in the giveaway!
117 thoughts to “Healthy Gingerbread Cookies”