Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2012/12/04/guacamole-with-roasted-tomatillos-and-chipotle-peppers/
© 2012 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Guacamole With Roasted Tomatillos and Chipotle Peppers
- 4 avocados
- 4 Tomatillos roasted
- 4 cloves garlic roasted
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 2 chipotle chilis
- 1 small lime squeezed (We used an organic one and it was tiny)
- 1/2 T cumin
- 1/2 small red onion
- salt to taste
- Remove the leafy outside of the tomatillos and rinse under some warm water to remove the sticky outside.
- Peel the garlic cloves as well, but leave them whole.
- Turn on your broiler in the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C) and insert the tomatillos and garlic to roast. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Afterward, peel the avocado removing the dark green skin.
- Remove the pit (Quick tip here, if you store avocado with the pit after opening it, it will stay greener longer and keep longer).
- Put everything in the food processor including the garlic and tomatillos and mix/chop until right before the avocado is smooth as you want a bit of chunk to it.
I wanted to note two things here. These chiles do have a bit of heat, so if you don’t like spicy foods, remove the pepper seeds from the dish. The seeds in peppers are where the real heat is. You remove the seeds and you get the same great smoky flavor without the heat (forgive the pun). Next, the acid from the tomatillos and lime will keep this dish very green. Avocado tends to turn dark green as it oxidizes. This dish stayed in our refrigerator for three days and looked as fresh as the day I made it. We ate these with our Healthy Corn Tortilla Chips. You can find that recipe here. Pretty amazing. I hope you enjoy this as much I did.