Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2012/12/19/red-lentil-soup/
© 2012 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Red Lentil Soup
- 2 cups lentils (rinsed)
- 1-2 T rice or bulgur (I used 2 T bulgur)
- 4-6 cups water or broth (I used water)
- 3 tsp tomato paste (optional) (I did not use it.)
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 carrots grated
- 3 T lemon juice
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mint
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
- In a large pot, cook the lentils, bulgur, carrots and water until soft. It takes about 30 minutes.
- In a sauce pan saute the onions and olive oil until they get soft.
- Add the dry spices, lemon juice and 1/2 – 1 cup of water and stir well. If you are using the tomato paste, add it in too.
- Add the onion mixture to the lentil mixture and let it simmer slowly for about 10 minutes. and your done. Enjoy!
If the soup appears to thick, you can add a bit more water. Some people like to use an immersion blender to puree it further. I did not do that. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later. This soup can be frozen also.