Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2012/12/30/chickpea-and-spinach-burgers/
© 2012 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Chickpea and Spinach Burgers
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (drained, if using canned)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 T soy sauce
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 2 T sunflower seeds
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- pinch salt
- Combine chickpeas and onion in a food processor, pulse a few times to break up the chickpeas.
- Add in spinach, oil, soy sauce, oregano, paprika, and sunflower seeds, pulse a few more times.
- Add in egg, salt, flour, and bread crumbs, pulsing until mixture comes together and is well blended.
- Remove from food processor, run your hands under water, and shape patties.
- If grilling out, bake in an oven for 10 minutes in order to get a start on the burger. If pan frying, you can use right away.
- If pan frying, cook over medium-low heat for roughly 6-8 minutes on each side. The outside should be browned and crispy.
- I baked my patties in the oven at 350 for about 15-20 on each side. They were crispy on the outside and softer in the middle. They reminded me of falafel. I spread my White Bean Pesto on top of these and it was delicious!