Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/01/14/clean-eating-samoas/
© 2013 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Clean Eating Samoas
The taste of the girl scout cookie with none of the guilt!
For the cookie
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean or extract
- 3 T coconut oil
- 2 T almond milk
- 2 flax eggs (I used flax, but a regular egg would work fine too.)
For the caramel
- 6 medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup warm water
For the chocolate
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or 1 dark chocolate bar
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the almonds and oats in a blender and blend into a fine powder.
- This works great in a Vitamix .
- Pour contents into a large bowl .
- Add the almond flour and the coconut sugar to the almond/oat mixture.
- In a smaller bowl , add the coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, eggs and milk.
- Mix well and add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix wet and dry just enough to combine.
- Place the shredded coconut in a small bowl and set aside.
- Roll the dough into little balls.
- Take each ball and roll it around in the shredded coconut.
- Once it is covered, flatten it with your palm and place onto a lined baking sheet.
- To make the caramel, place the dates in a food processor or magic bullet and pulse into a thin sauce, slowly adding warm water to thin it out.
- Once it becomes the consistency or caramel, drizzle it over the top of each cookie.
- Once each cookie has caramel over it, place in the oven and bake for 11-13 minutes.
- As cookies are cooling, you can make the chocolate.
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate in a glass bowl slowly adding enough milk until you get a thin enough consistency. I added about 1/2 cup.
- Once the chocolate is thinned out, drizzle it over the tops and place in the fridge for the chocolate to set.