Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/03/12/homemade-hazelnut-milk/
© 2013 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Homemade Hazelnut Milk
- 2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or ground vanilla bean
- optional add ins: 2 dates or honey for a sweet taste
- Soak the hazelnuts in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse.
- Put the rinsed hazelnuts, water and vanilla into a blender and blend for about 2 minutes.
- Cover the fine mesh strainer with the cheesecloth and pour the blended mixture slowly into the strainer. I only do a small amount each time.
- Grab the cheesecloth and “milk” the nuts until it seems like you can’t get any more.
- Empty the leftover “meal” onto a lined baking sheet.
- Repeat these steps until the whole mixture is strained.
- Using a funnel, carefully pour the milk into a container and store in the fridge. It should keep for at least a week.
Keep in mind that it will separate in the fridge so you will have to give it a good shake before using it. You can dry out the leftover meal in the oven. Bake it on about 200 for a few hours until it feels dry. It think you can do it in the dehydrator as well. I have plans for the meal as well so make sure you save it.