Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/05/15/homemade-nutri-grain-bars/
© 2013 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Homemade Nutri-Grain Bars
For the bars
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat (to make these gluten free, sub GF all purpose or GF oat flour and add an extra egg)
- 1 flax egg (I used a flax egg replacement)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 T almond milk
- salt to taste
For the filling
- Your favorite fruit spread or 12 medjool dates blended up into a caramel with a bit of water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, grind up the almonds and oats. Measure them before grinding.
- Once they are ground into a slightly course consistency, add them to a bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, add the wet ingredients.
- Add dry to wet and mix just until combined.
- Gather the dough into a ball. It will be a bit sticky.
- Wrap it in plastic and place in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes to firm up.
- Once firm, cut a piece of parchment paper the size of a baking sheet, and lay it on the counter.
- Cut the dough ball in half. I used a bench scraper to cut mine.
- Take one piece and roll it out onto the parchment, putting some plastic wrap between the rolling pin and dough.
- Roll it until it is about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Spread jam onto the top.
- Roll the second ball of dough the same way onto another piece of parchment. Place that onto the dough with the jam. I made sure all the sides were sealed up. Then slice into squares with a pizza cutter. Bake for about 13 minutes. These should last a week or two. You can freeze them as well. Remember to save your parchment paper. You can re-use the same piece over and over again. Enjoy!