Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/06/07/healthy-pop-tarts/
© 2013 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Healthy Homemade Pop Tarts
Healthy Pop Tarts
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean or extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond milk (I used oat milk. Add it slowly just to give the dough a little moisture.)
For the filling
- Your favorite fruit spread
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl |.
- Mix wet in another bowl |.
- Add dry to wet and mix until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Once the dough is firm, cut two pieces of parchment paper the size of your baking sheets .
- Lay one of the sheets out on the counter.
- Using a bench scraper , cut the dough in half.
- Using a rolling pin , roll the dough ball out onto the parchment, putting the plastic wrap between the rolling pin and the dough.
- Rolling it onto the parchment will make for easy transfer to the baking sheets .
- Try to roll the dough into a square shape. Roll out to about 1/4 in thickness.
- Using a pizza cutter , cut the dough into even squares.
- Put a spoonful of jam on a square and cover with another square of dough.
- Use a fork to press the sides together.
- Repeat this until all have been done.
- Do all the same steps with the other half of the dough.
- Transfer the parchment paper onto the baking sheet and put in the oven.
- Bake for about 15-17 minutes.
I got 15 small sized pop tarts out of my batch. These should last a couple weeks in the fridge. You can also freeze them for longer storage. Enjoy!