Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/07/01/thick-and-fudgy-brownies/
© 2013 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Thick and Fudgy Brownies
- 2 cups white whole wheat (For a gluten free option use gluten free all purpose or gluten free oat flour)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 flax egg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground vanilla beans or extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/2 dark chocolate bar (I used one that was 72% cacao. If you want a sweeter taste, use milk chocolate.)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl , add all the dry ingredients.
- In a saucepan , on medium heat, combine the coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup, almond butter and chocolate.
- Stir until everything is well combined. Set aside.
- Line an 8X8 pan with a sheet of parchment paper leaving enough room for some paper to come out the sides. This will make the brownies easy to remove.
- Add the heated mixture to the dry ingredients and stir only until combined.
- Lastly add the egg and milk and stir until everything is mixed well. Be careful not to over-mix or the brownies can come out tough.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. I kept mine slightly gooey and they worked out great that way. The first time I overcooked them and they were so dry.
- Once the brownies are cooled, pull them out by grabbing the parchment paper.
- Cut with a pizza cutter into squares.
Store them in a container in the pantry or the fridge. Keep in mind, if you store them in the fridge, they will harden slightly because the coconut oil will solidify. I got about 10 brownies out of my batch. Enjoy!