Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/10/09/pumpkin-pecan-caramel-bars/
© 2013 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Pumpkin Pecan Caramel Bars
For the bars
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1/4 cup pepitas ( pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
For the caramel
- 15 medjool dates
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor , combine the dates and water and pulse until you get a caramel consistency. You will need to scrape down the sides a few times. Once that is done, set it aside.
- In a food processor or blender, grind up the pecans and oats into a course consistency.
- Add that to a bowl with the remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add wet to dry and mix until combined.
- Get a sheet of parchment paper larger than an 8X8 glass baking dish so you will have some extra paper sticking out the sides. This will make these easy to remove after they are baked.
- Slowly spoon 1/2 the batter into the 8X8 pan. Then add a layer of the “caramel.” Lastly, add in the remaining batter.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes. I got 9 squares out of my batch and I stored them in the fridge. You can also freeze them! Enjoy!