I have been craving homemade cinnamon rolls for quite some time. I am not sure why I was so intimidated by the idea of making them from scratch. I guess it was because I wasn’t sure if I could get the cinnamon roll dough perfect.
For my homemade cinnamon rolls I didn’t want to rely on vegan butters like Earth Balance. I wanted to try and use melted coconut oil instead. So I just dove right in and tried them. I have to say that I am pretty happy with the way these vegan cinnamon rolls turned out.
I used spelt flour in these vegan cinnamon rolls, so they are not completely gluten free. I wanted to perfect the recipe before attempting to make the cinnamon rolls gluten free.
This would be a fantastic weekend breakfast! Recipe is adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie and Veggie and the Beast.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Warm cinnamon rolls with a cashew cream icing.
For the rolls
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 pkg yeast
- 1 flax egg (I used a flax egg)
- 2-3 T coconut sugar
- 2 tsp ground vanilla bean
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the filling
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon (or more if you like a lot)
For the icing
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight
- 2 T maple syrup
- Mix the dry ingredients for the dough in one bowl.
- In a saucepan , heat up the almond milk.
- Once it starts to bubble, add in the coconut oil.
- Let the almond mixture cool slightly and then add it, and the flax egg, to the dry ingredients.
- Mix until a dough starts to form.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes
- Place the dough in a bowl covered with a damp towel and allow it to rise. You can tell it's good when you can poke it and it holds it's shape. (About 20 minutes)
- Meanwhile, mix the cinnamon and coconut sugar together for the filling.
- Once the dough has risen, roll it out onto a floured surface.
- Brush the dough with water and sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mixture on top.
- Roll up the dough and cut into pieces using a bench scraper .
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place the rolls in a greased pie plate and let it rise another 20 minutes.
- Once the dough is ready, bake it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the rolls are cooking, in a blender , blend up the cashews and maple syrup tp make the icing. If it seems a little thick, you can thin it out with a small amount of milk. Pour the icing over the rolls while they are still warm out of the oven.
These rolls should be stored in the fridge. You can probably freeze them, (minus the icing,) for longer storage. If the icing thickens up after it's stored in the fridge, just add a bit more milk and blend until smooth.
80 thoughts to “Homemade Cinnamon Rolls (Vegan)”