Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/02/12/vegan-grilled-cheese-with-caramelzed-onions/
© 2014 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Vegan Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions
Now vegans can enjoy this classic sandwich as well!
For the caramelized onions
- 1 1/2 cups sliced raw yellow onion
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
To assemble 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices of bread (I used Ezekiel Sprouted Grain bread)
- 4 T caramelized onions
- 6 T cashew cheese sauce
- 10 leaves of baby spinach
- In a saucepan, on medium low heat, saute the onions in oil and salt. Cover and continue to saute until the onions break down.
- Once the onions are caramelized, assemble the sandwiches.
- For each sandwich add 2 slices of bread, 2 T cashew cheese sauce and 5 leaves of baby spinach.
- In a saucepan, grill each sandwich in a little coconut oil until both sides are browned.
- Serve immediately.
If you want to make this gluten free, just use your favorite gluten free bread.