Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/03/17/homemade-diced-tomatoes/
© 2014 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Homemade Diced Tomatoes
Say goodbye to canned tomatoes!
- 6 vine ripened tomatoes (you can use more if you like, I just had 6 on hand)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Wash and core the tomatoes.
- Bring a large saucepan to a boil.
- Drop the tomatoes in the water. Leave them there for 1 minute, then drain the water, and throw them in a ice water bath to cool them down. About 1 minute.
- Once the tomatoes are cooled, you can easily peel the skins off.
- After the skins are peeled, dice the tomatoes.
- Put the diced tomatoes back in the sauce pan with the salt and any other seasonings you may want to add. Let them simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and store. I stored mine in a glass mason jar in the fridge. You can freeze them as well. Just make sure you use a freezer safe container.
- This recipe make about 2 cups diced tomatoes. That is equal to a 15oz can of diced tomatoes.
You can see the step by step photos below this recipe.