We live in Texas, so there is no shortage to Tex Mex foods. However, most of the restaurants are not healthy or vegan. Ever since we made our dairy free cashew cheese sauce, we have been experimenting with different ways to use it. First there was the vegan grilled cheese and then the vegan nachos. Now vegan quesadillas.
I used Food for Life corn tortillas. They are gluten free and non GMO. They were perfect for this recipe. I supposed you could also use homemade tortillas. We all loved this recipe and it smells amazing when it’s cooking! If you are not vegan, please feel free to add in whatever cheese you like instead of the cheese sauce. I am sure that would probably be okay as well.
Vegan Mushroom and Onion Quesadillas
A classic dish made vegan!
The amounts for this make 1 quesadilla
For the filling
- 2 mushrooms sliced thin
- 1/4 yellow onion sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 T oil (we used walnut oil)
- salt to taste
- 2 tortillas (We used Food for Life corn tortillas, but any tortilla should work.)
- 2 T dairy free cheese sauce
- Mushroom and onion mixture
- Heat a saute pan on medium heat.
- Add the oil and onions, garlic and salt and saute for about 5-7 minutes.
- Then add the mushroom and continue to saute for another 7-9 minutes or until the mushrooms and onions are soft. Remove them from heat.
- Lightly oil the pan again and place one tortilla in the pan.
- Spoon the 2 T cheese sauce onto the tortilla.
- Place the mushroom/onion mixture on top of that.
- Top with another tortilla.
- Saute in the pan for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately
If you eat dairy, please feel free to sub cheese in place of the cashew cheese sauce.