There is just something about oatmeal cookies. Almost everyone loves them! Myself included. I know many people are fans of the oatmeal cream pies found in the snack section of your local grocery store. Well I decided to try a vegan and gluten free version of those! 🙂 Mine are oatmeal cream pies with a maple cream. They are delicious!
I made mine a little different. I added a maple cream because I just love maple syrup and they reminded me of the oatmeal cream pies I used to buy from Whole Foods. They were in the bakery. OMG so good! However, I don’t think they were vegan or gluten free. My recipe may not taste exactly like Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Cream Pies, but they are still delicious. Oil free and refined sugar free!
Oatmeal Pies with Maple Cream
A healthier version of the store bought favorite!
For the cookies
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 flax eggs
For the filling
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix wet in another bowl.
- Add wet to dry and mix only until combined.
- Drop cookies on a lined baking sheet. I used a cookie scoop for mine.
- Once all the cookies are on the baking sheet, flatten them with your palm.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. While they are baking, you can make the filling.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Once the cookies are done baking and have cooled completely, frost them and make sandwiches.
These should last several weeks in the fridge. The cream will harden a bit in the fridge, so feel free to heat the cookies a little before eating. Enjoy!