Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/06/01/healthy-strawberry-rhubarb-crisp/
© 2014 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
A healthier version of the classic dessert!
For the filling
- 1 16 oz package of strawberries sliced
- 2 stalks rhubarb sliced thin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 T chia seeds
For the crumble topping
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats (You can use almonds for a grain free option.)
- 2 T coconut oil
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- In medium sized saucepan , add the sliced strawberries, sliced rhubarb, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest and sea salt. Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb looks softened. Mine took about 10 minutes.
- Once that mixture is softened, add the chia seeds and stir well. Take a taste. If it's too tart for you, you can always add a little more maple syrup. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor , combine all the crumble topping ingredients and pulse a couple times until everything comes together.
- Add the fruit mixture to a greased baking dish. I used an 8x8 glass dish .
- Sprinkle the crumble topping on top of the fruit.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the topping looks golden in color.
Store this strawberry rhubarb crisp in the fridge. It should keep for at least a week. I highly suggest warming it up and adding a little ice cream. I think it would be awesome with my strawberry ice cream . Enjoy!