Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/08/22/homemade-enchilada-sauce/
© 2014 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
You will never need store bought sauce again!
- 6 cups heirloom tomatoes roasted and pureed
- 2 T avocado oil
- 2 T chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 T coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3-4 T arrowroot
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Core about 10 large heirloom tomatoes.
- Brush the tomatoes with oil and place on a lined baking sheet .
- Roast in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove the skin of the tomato. You can save the skins for homemade vegetable broth .
- Once they are cooled a bit, puree the tomatoes in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the pureed tomatoes in a sauce pan.
- Add all the spices into the pan and stir.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let simmer for 2 hours on low heat stirring occasionally.
- At the end, stir in arrowroot to let thicken.