Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/08/28/strawberry-oatmeal-muffins/
© 2014 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins
Oatmeal muffins with a surprise inside!
For the muffins
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 flax eggs (real eggs work too)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the cream
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- almond milk if needed
- Preheat oven to 350.
For the cream:
- Drain and rinse the cashews that have been soaking. Add them to a blender with the strawberries.
- Blend for a minute or two. You may need to add a little almond milk to help get a smoother consistency. Taste the cream. If it's not sweet enough to your liking, you can always add in a tablespoon or two of maple syrup.
- Set the cream aside.
For the muffins:
- Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl . Mix wet in another bowl . Add dry to wet and mix until combined.
- Place liners in your muffin pans . I use silicone liners that work great.
- Add a small amount of batter to the bottom of each muffin.
- Then add a dollop of the strawberry cream on top. Fill the remaining muffin cups with more batter until the cups are about 3/4 of the way full.
- Place the muffin pans in the oven.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool completely before carefully removing them from the pan.
If you have an allergy to nuts, you can probably use Greek yogurt instead of cashews in the filling.
These muffins should last at least a week in the fridge. You may also be able to freeze them. Enjoy!