Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/10/25/healthier-pineapple-upside-cake/
© 2014 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Healthier Pineapple Upside Down Cake
The classic cake made gluten free and healthy!
For the topping
- 2-3 T coconut oil (measure after melting)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 5 pineapple rings
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour (you can try gluten free oat flour too)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (you can also try real butter if you eat it)
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 flax eggs (or real eggs if you use those)
- 1 T vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
For the topping:
- Pour the melted coconut oil in the bottom of a cake pan. I used a 9 inch spring form pan . Brush a little oil up the sides of the pan as well.
- Sprinkle the coconut sugar on top of the oil, and then add the pineapple rings. Lay the rings side by side until the bottom of the pan is covered. I used 5.
For the cake:
- In one bowl , mix all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In another bowl , cream together the softened coconut butter and coconut sugar.
- Then add the vanilla, almond milk and flax eggs.
- Lastly add the dry ingredients and mix only until combined.
- The batter will be pretty thick.
- Spread the batter on top of the pineapple rings. Make sure they rings are covered evenly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Wait until the cake has cooled for at least 15 minutes before you remove the sides of the pan and turn it over.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
This cake should last at least 5 days in the fridge. Enjoy!