Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/11/20/vegan-carrot-cake/
© 2014 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Vegan Carrot Cake
A healthier version of the classic cake!
For the cake
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I used sorghum flour )
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 flax eggs (real eggs work too)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (shredded)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
For the frosting
- I used my 5 minute frosting recipe
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl .
- Mix wet in another bowl .
- Add wet to dry and mix until combined.
- Fold in the raisins.
- Grease a 9 inch cake pan and then sprinkle it with a little flour.
- Pour batter into the cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Wait until the cake has completely cooled before flipping it over onto a plate.
Store this cake in the fridge. It should last at least 7-10 days. You may even be able to freeze it, but I haven't tried. If you do freeze, I recommend freezing it without the frosting. Enjoy!