Posted by Melissa Kinghttps://mywholefoodlife.com/2014/11/21/salted-caramel-chocolate-tarts/
© 2014 My Whole Food Life. All rights reserved.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Tarts
A whole food version of this classic dessert!
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 5 medjool dates (pits removed)
For the caramel
- homemade vegan sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 -3/4 tsp sea salt
For the chocolate
- 1 3.5 oz dark chocolate bar
- 1/3 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- In a food processor , grind up the pecans for a minute. Be careful not to over process them and turn them into pecan butter. Add the dates and pulse a few more times until everything looks like it's starting to clump together.
- Grease your tart shells with a little coconut oil.
- Press the pecan/date mixture into each tart shell .
- Place them in the fridge.
- Cook the vegan sweetened condensed milk down even further so it resembles a caramel.
- Stir in the sea salt.
- Pour the mixture into each tart shell and place them back in the fridge.
- To make the chocolate, use a double boiler to gently melt the chocolate and the milk together.
- Once it's smooth, pour it onto the top of the caramel in the tart shells.
- You can also add a little more coarse ground salt to the top of the chocolate for garnish if you like.
- Place the tarts back in the fridge. They should be ready to eat in about 20 minutes.
You can make this dessert in advance. I think up to 2 days before you serve it. These should last about 10 days in the fridge. Enjoy!